2009 - Garden Pictures

My pride and joy - the back border in July of 2009. It's meant to be as much of a 'cottage garden' garden as I can make it, and for me, that means large clumps of colour and kind of messy but organized at the same time. It still needs to fill in the empty spaces, but it's getting there. In here I have shasta daisies, phlox, daylilies, irises, peonies, coneflowers, evening primrose, sweet Williams and many others. I'll post all the things as they come out in the 2010 part of my blog.



The pool border at the end of July. Sweet Williams, evening primrose, lavander, purple coneflower and fall asters live here.




The little backstep garden, near the end of the summer. 'Catherine Woodbury' and 'Pandora's Box' daylilies, scabiosa, and 'rose campion' lychnis.




The front bed, planted up with hostas, delphinium, bleeding heart and monkshood. This garden is mostly in the shade.

6 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! What a huge difference from the 'Before' pictures. Gives you such a great feeling to see how much your hard work has paid off, doesn't it? I love your rose campion by your deck, and the plantings around your pool are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are the tall purple flowers monkshood? They look great! Someone once told me they were poisonous, I believe, and that I shouldn't plant them where little kids would play, but my kids are a little older so maybe it's time. They look like they do well in shade, and I have plenty of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billie Jo, yes those tall purple ones are monkshood. My plant book says 'all parts of them are poisonous. I handle them with care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a difference from when you first moved in! Congratulations!

    It's inspiring to see all that you've done here - it looks great! I especially love that back border.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I really liked your back border. How do you keep it away from tree roots and weeds?

    Thanks, Irina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Irena, this is the only place I can answer your question, so I hope you check back.

    I keep out the weeds by putting a thick (three inches) layer of mulch. I use shredded cedar bark, because it looks natural. It really keeps the weeds down, and the ones that come up - I just pull them.

    Cheers!

    I do have some trees that try to

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!

If you have a question, I'll respond on your own blog, if you leave me the link! I'll also answer questions here (in case anyone else is interested).

I had to start 'moderating' the comments because I was getting so much spam, so if you notice your comment doesn't show up right away, that is why.

Happy Gardening!